Thursday, April 11, 2013

Why I still don’t regret my degree in Theatre. Or Why Theatre people are AWESOME!


Why I still don’t regret my degree in Theatre.
Or
Why Theatre people are AWESOME!

So, I was jamming out to some showtunes as I got off the A train at 44th Street.  It was one of those days where all you need is a little NEXT TO NORMAL or some WICKED and you do that power talk thing and imagine that you’re in a movie walking up the street (a la Natalie Portman in CLOSER) except with a kickass soundtrack blaring behind you.  Anyone ever do that?  Just me?  Oh….

*cricket…cricket*

ANYWAYS.  I’m always on the look out for new things to write about, and this particular day, I got off the train at 44th and realized I was 35 minutes early to the job at the theater.  And then I got to thinkin’, and I came to the realization that my punctual quality came from being a theater major, because ya JUST weren’t late to rehearsal…and Tech?  FORGET IT.

So, I was always in a “be on time/early” mode.  And then it hit me.  My training program trained me not just for theater…but, for the real world. 

Here are a few more reasons why theatre people are the best to have around, also a few reasons why being a theatre major was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made:

1.     Always on time (see above).  I realize that we’re not ALL on time...but you know. 

2.     Theatre people, especially those pursuing a career in theater while working a day job, are resilient.  The amount of rejection that we get, whether your path is acting, singing, producing or design, we get rejected…A LOT.  Its always, ‘I didn’t get this’, ‘I would have been perfect for that…’ ect.  I’m guilty at this, too.  But we always ALWAYS manage to accept the fact that ‘maybe that opportunity wasn’t meant to be because something better is coming up’ and brush off, and move on.   After of course we lose a day or two by staying home and eating Chinese food and watching Sex and the City reruns – or maybe that’s just me…

3.     We know what its like to work hard.  We took theatre classes, AND other classes, AND went to rehearsal, AND worked on theater projects AFTER rehearsal into the night, AND got up for our 9am History of Theatre Architecture and Design class (shout out to Rebs).  We love what we do.  We work VERY hard.  It’s in our blood.  We can’t help it. Even at our day jobs – we work hard.  We need the money, we know you make more money by working harder…we work hard indeed.   Nothing is really ever handed to anyone in this business – there are a select few that are more blessed than others – meaning they come from money and don’t have to worry about a day job, but since nothing is ever handed to us, we have to work all that much more harder.  And furthermore – we work hard for minimal amounts of money, and the final product is payment enough.

4.     We love what we do – I mean, we just do.  We are some of the most devoted and committed people that ever existed.   When we commit to something -  it is done at its upmost highest quality, and it was done with love and passion.  The money factor was something that didn’t phase us in college – we didn’t care that we may be looking at weeks of unemployment, we didn’t care about taking out that extra Sallie Mae loan (damn her) so we could finish our degree.  We find a way to help out a friend for a reading, or a workshop, we take time to act in a one act just because we love it.  We know that everything else will fall into place and that it will ‘be fine.’ 

5.     We work hard.  We party hard.  Well…maybe in our younger days.  Theatre people understand the work load.  We understand that its hard work – we also understand opening night, closing night, and Feola Fridays (for all you SRU peeps).  Therefore – we know how to kick back, relax, and have a really fun time….(that may or may not end up with an apartment full of people singing La Vie Boheme.   For the most part, in my college days, the partying was simply fun and clean times with rum and coke – when I moved to New York City, I noticed that the partying was a little ‘harder’ and would immediately withdraw myself from those types of crowds – see how smart theater people are! J

6.      When you move to New York City, all you hear about is how hard it is and how expensive it is and blah blah blah.  As a new New Yorker I didn’t have a knowledge of where all the affordable places to eat were, or where the free events are.  Well, having been in NYC for (going on) six years, I can probably take you to breakfast, lunch, AND dinner, and a few events including Broadway in the Park, some museums, all for under $50 bucks in a day.  Yes.  We New York theater know how to have a GREAT time on a budget.  We have to.  Even at that – in college, we learned how to eat and live on a budget because some of us had to live on a budget and manage it ourselves.  But New York Theater people know where the $3.00 falafels are, we know where the $3 happy hour drinks are, we know what bars will show you the BEST time (Maries Crisis), we know when museums have donation day (pay what you want upon entrance as opposed to the set $25 fee). 

7.     New York actors know how to make it work.  They can do a catering gig, get a 2 day gig doing extra work, and babysit a few nights a week and then be able to take time off and audition for 2-3 weeks straight.  Some know how to get a big commercial and can live off that for 3-4 months straight.  Theatre people will always be able to hook you up with a Temp Agency, with a catering gig, or will be able to refer you to a babysitting gig, or a part time job as a server.  We’re masters of the temp gig and can probably get you something if you ever needed it.  Sharing the knowledge is powerful. 

8.     Fun.  We are fun.  In the work place, at rehearsal, during tech, in interviews…we are fun, happy people.  Although, it seems the longer you live in New York City the easier it is to be bitter and miserable and negative – I have to say, I feel blessed that I’m not there yet.  And I hope never to be. 

9.     We are incredible problem solvers.  From that one moment when I was working an Off-Broadway gala and realized my slacks were way too long – all I needed was some assistance and some gaff tape and I had perfect pants.  We are good at all kinds of problem solving – which makes us really good at any job that we want to be good at.  When I first started as a company manager, I was sort of surprised at myself at how good I was at putting out fires – and then when my superiors also noticed, that was a “aha moment” for me – I was like, wow…I’m good at problem solving.  A GREAT skill to have.  Not being afraid to make decisions – stems from my training in acting (Thanks David and Laura!)

10.  Finally – why theatre people are wonderful is because we are so willing to help each other and be supportive.  We are incredible team players – we want to help each other succeed.   When you’re in college, that’s really the only way to succeed – to support one another.  I’ve remained true to that in New York City, and its taken me longer to be successful (however, success is a rolling thing…it just doesn’t ‘happen’).  New York actors tend to more of a “push you in front of a bus” attitude rather than a “let me help you meet an agent” attitude – and most of the time, the former are the types that get ahead further.  But I’m a ‘stand on my principles’ kind of guy, and no matter how long success takes, I’ve decided to take the kinder, helpful, supportive path.  Again, that stems back to my college days training. 


So basically – all of my friends should be employed because we are incredible! J






1 comment:

Singularly Me said...

Jeff, you are so right! I teach theatre (one class!) and English in a small Texas town. Every year I direct ONE play for a one act play contest. The directors are the best! We give, we share, we encourage. I've told my students that theater isn't like sports; we want everyone to succeed! Break a leg!