Thursday, November 17, 2011

An Evening With Patti LuPone and Mandy Patinkin

I've recently discovered something.

I have this awesome opportunity to blog and share how I feel about what shows I experience around NYC and I NEVER blog about it. 



Well that changes now.  


If you follow me on twitter or keep up to date on my facebook page, you might notice that I either give something a "GO SEE THIS" or a "DONT SEE THIS" with nothing really to support how I feel.  So, here we go.  My first review!  :-)


This past week, I had the distinct opportunity to see the final dress of this one of a kind show.  Being a musical theatre fan, I have a huge respect for both of these incredible artists.  Shamefully, I have to admit - prior to my living in New York City, I don't think I've owned or really listened to either of these artists, but still knowing who they were.  I've actually met Mandy a few times.  I was an intern at Classic Stage Company when Mandy graced the stage with his commanding Prospero in The Tempest.  After that, I knew that Mandy Patinkin was a name that I needed to know and continued to educate myself.  


Had I not been invited to this final dress, I don't think I would have purchased tickets to attend this show.  I'd rather watch a play or a musical, and a concert type is not really my thing - or so I thought.  


From the moment Patti and Mandy stepped on stage, from the moment the lights came up on the two of them, from the moment the audience erupted into applause and tears, I knew that I was about to be taken on the ride of my life. 


They share the stage with such grace and elegance and there is a respect that they each have for each other, is so obvious to us all.  Both performers remain equal and neither upstages the other, but rather they enhance each other and compliment each other like no other duet out there.  


SPOILER: I will not give many things away, but I will say one thing.  Mandy and Patti - when you think of these two names, you think of Evita.  Songs from Evita seemed to be the obvious thing to do, so I assumed that they would NOT do anything from the show.  I am new to the Broadway community.  I was not around in 1980.  I've never heard Patti LuPone sing anything from Evita.  Let me tell you - from the moment Patti stood in that spotlight, lifted her arms as if she was addressing the crowd from the balcony of the Casa Rosada, and began to sing:
It won't be easy, you'll think it strange
When I try to explain how I feel
That I still need your love after all that I've done
You won't believe me
All you will see is a girl you once knew
Although she's dressed up to the nines
At sixes and sevens with you
I was sitting there, tears pouring from my eyes, and almost shaking.  This is why I believe in and LOVE the POWER of live theatre.  One human being, 20 feet away, was physically altering my current state.


That is power.


This show is truly a gift from the Broadway Community.  A gift, to see these two dynamite performers unite and bask in each other's talent.


GO SEE IT!


:-)












http://www.pattiandmandyonbroadway.com/

No comments: